Services

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What I've learned so far and Questions?

What I've learned:

I have obtained the following from local farmers markets:
-yellow grits (grown and milled in Zachary)
-Dairy (milk/cream cheese/goat yogurt and cheese/butter): from Smith creamery and a place that comes to BR farmers market from Tylertown, MS (not LA, but close)
-Rice from Kinder (grown and milled)
-Pecans from Waterproof
-Satsumas from Houma
-Sweet Potatoes from Opelousas
-Whole Chickens from Lena's Farm in Clinton
-Pickled Quail Eggs (which Lucie loves) from EFP
-Honey from BR
-Sugarcane syrup from White Castle
-Tomatoes, Turnips, Bell Peppers, Potatoes, Greens, Radishes from variety of local farms
-Broccoli, Greens, Peppers, Eggs from my own garden and a chicken from my coop

Probably so many other items. My favs so far outside of basic veg is definitely the goat's milk cheese, pecans, and honey, and butter......and grits, and satsumas...

Bread is still sort of an issue. I am buying all locally baked. I am trying to find locally grown/milled wheat. I'm not so confident, but honestly, with all the grits, rice and potatoes, bread isnt needed so much.

Still looking for local dry beans, pork (to be put into production here), and oatmeal (which I have a lead on).

No comments:

Post a Comment