Services

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Not taking a break: FYI

It's been a few days. I HAD to hurry up and finish Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It became my goal outside of all of the other obligations I have to tend to like cooking, cleaning, working, and dealing with the two girls. I also have been busy trying to put somethings up for later.

Updates:
Satsuma Marmalade-Check
8 pint bags of lemon juice-Check (Thanks to my client whose citrus tree we put in last year)
ChowChow-NONE: tomatoes were bad b/c we picked them after the frost, boo hoo.
Pork-My wonderful FIL has sent one to Jarred's uncle to be butchered. So great. Our cow will be done next month AFTER deer season (that way it is not mixed by accident).
We did get about 75lbs of venison, BUT I gave it to my guys. It will be there if needed. I plan to feed some of it to Vada and Deuce for dog food. I sort of feel bad about that, but oh well. Dog food is expensive (for two big dogs) and certainly not local.
Cheese making Kit: Is on my counter waiting for milk products.

Difficulty Numero Uno. I have a feeling this will be a common issue. Not as bad as it seemed. We went out of town last weekend so I missed the market in BR AND Zachary. Very upsetting to 'my plan'. I have used most of my fresh root veg left and have one chicken and 2 lbs of shrimp in the freezer with misc. veg. I need milk for drinking/cooking and making cheese. I feel lucky that I have the shrimp man on Plank Road everyday. SO, regardless, we can boil shrimp.

Garden progress:

The rain has been horrible. We havent gotten much done besides cleaning out the frosted tomatoes and beans. I did get some more lettuce, spinach and snow peas planted. I am trying to get the leeks/celery and fennel started out in the seriously snow damaged greenhouse. I need to get more herbs going in there. The cilantro and kale seem to be growing well. The fall planted broccoli is sort of coming to an end, so I need to get those started in the green house for next month. Jarred and I just havent had time to make a plan, so we are just putting things in as it is dry enough. The alium beds (garlic, shallots, onions) are coming along quite well. The carrots are non-existent. I suspect Jarred planted them too deep. I will replant asap. I havent seen any carrots or cauliflower at the farmers market, so maybe my cauliflower isnt too behind. The brussel sprouts and cabbages are putsing along with the artichokes. All of it should be side dressed BUT.....oh the rain.

Chickens:
Lost one Araucauna. No idea way, could be the temperature change, could be that they are dumb and flew into the walls. Negative of having a huge chicken coop. I cant wait to get my spring biddies in. They are laying (at least 2 are). I am getting about 2 eggs a day, should be getting 20. I figure the lack of 14 hr day light is effecting them. I still get eggs from MIL so that is good. That one little buff speckled sussex is getting beat up on. The older black leghorns are not laying, so I am thinking of putting those three out in the yard to eat the catepillars in the garden (yes, we had catepillars onthe cabbage last week). Jarred insists it will mean certain death......uh oh.

Jarred got a price on hog panels, not so expensive. So, we will work on that as soon as weather and work allow.

To Do:
GET TO THE MARKET FOR GROCERIES!
Decide what to make/take for Christmas gifts.

1 comment:

  1. my husband just read that book....have you seen f
    'food inc. '??
    brandi rainey

    ReplyDelete